Saturday, October 9, 2010

Crossing new horizons...

I have learned, over the years, that when one window closes another always opens. I have also learned to remain open to the possibilities when that window finally does open. That philosophy has led me down some unexpected paths - some at my own choosing and others I would NEVER have chosen. It was the unplanned journeys that taught me the greatest lessons of all.

I have been blessed in this life with a strong faith, supportive family, true friends and a long, fulfilling career in the non-profit world - beginning in 1966 when I entered the field of nursing. Nursing taught me the art of communicating with people from all walks of life; of the joys gained from listening to and honoring their stories; and of my natural ability to facilitate healing. Though my fulltime career in nursing ended in 1988 I have carried those skills into all areas of my life.

The windows that subsequently opened for me followed the accidental deaths of my husband and son in 1988. Now you know which path I would NEVER have chosen! I have been asked many times – “how did you survive that” and my answer is always “I had two choices – to live or die. I chose to live.” And so, the journey back, from the dark abyss, laid before me a path of the greatest discoveries of all. Many of these discoveries were made in the non-profit world as well: at Norlands Living History Center 1989-1993 where I discovered and developed new skills – public speaking and teaching; scouting and a local historical society where I gained self confidence in my leadership abilities; and last but not least at Hospice Volunteers of Waterville Area (HVWA).

My interest in helping to improve the end-of-life journey began in my early years of nursing when I witnessed people dying alone and in pain – this was many years before Hospice came to the USA (in the mid 1970’s). Following the deaths of my husband and son I was surprised to find there were no grief support services available in Central Maine. So this awareness – of the need for grief and end-of-life support – made HVWA a perfect fit for my interests and skills - and as my relationship with HVWA evolved I also came to realize that work was my life’s mission.

Starting in 1993 I developed HVWA’s bereavement program, founded Camp Ray of Hope and Grief in the Workplace in 1995 and Hope’s Place in 2005. I tapped into many skill sets during my years at HVWA – marketing, volunteer recruitment and training, board development, research, grant writing, program development, event planning and creative writing. Through those years I was Director of Volunteers and Bereavement Services 1994-2003 and Executive Director 2003-2010.

HVWA grew tremendously under my leadership and that is one of my greatest accomplishments and sources of pride. However, the day came when a little voice began telling me I should reach for new possibilities - but in order to do so I had to make the time and space. So, after 18 years with HVWA, I announced my retirement in 2009. Since then it has become clear to me that helping others, by sharing what I have experienced and learned, is where I must go from here. As soon as I realized and accepted that, some opportunities began to surface. I invite you or your organization to contact me so together we can explore how CROSSINGS can be of help to you.

No comments: